Violence Warrants a Desire for Changes

A #VegasStrong banner now covers the area where shooter Stephen Paddock broke the window to his 32nd-floor suite on Oct. 1, killing 59 people attending an open music festival on the Vegas Strip. 

Emily Hung

Emily Hung

Nicole Rendler, Managing Editor

Reading the news in 2017 is like watching a horror movie, seeing so many people die right in front of your eyes.

With what seems to be a shooting every day, it begs the question: How many people are going to die before America realizes that gun control is necessary?

Gun violence, which claims hundreds of lives every year, needs to be eradicated.

The United States Constitution was designed to accept an ever-changing society, thus the concept of amendments exists in the first place.

After more than 200 years, so much has changed after the Second Amendment—“the right to keep and bear arms”—was added in 1791.

In 2015, according to the Congressional Research Service, there were 300 million guns in circulation in America.

The Second Amendment was not written to accommodate this vast sea of firearms in our country.

​If Americans can use the Second Amendment to explain the needless deaths of children in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012 or the deaths of 59 concertgoers in Las Vegas in 2017, then we really are hopeless.

The day it became possible for a civilian to go into a school and shoot kindergarteners for no reason or shoot almost sixty people in front of Mandalay Bay during a concert proves that America has failed as the “home of the brave and the land of the free.”

Legislators should have been brave enough to make gun restriction laws decades ago.

Those children and concertgoers should have been free to live their lives to the fullest for as long as possible.

With a choice of taking away someone’s gun or someone’s life, the answer should be straightforward.

I’m not saying we want to take away all guns.

But, an idea comes to my 16-year-old, tired-of-mourning-people-I’ve-never-met mind.

Mandatory psychological evaluations, six-month waiting periods, and character testimony from peers, employers, spouses or even children are all options to ensure that guns are purchased by trustworthy people.

Buying and owning a gun should be a difficult process that allows many opportunities for the discovery of any reason as to why someone should not be able to own a gun.

Anyone convicted of a violent crime should also be kept on a list similar to that of the sex offender registry enacted by Megan’s Law.

Any employee of places like Wal-Mart or Bass Pro Shops, any online gun sellers or traders, should be able to type a name into a database and immediately determine if the person trying to buy a gun can be trusted with a lethal material object.

The point of gun control is quite simple.

In fact, it is right there in the words: Gun. Control.

Complete gun abolition or prohibition? No.

Reduction and regulation? Yes.

About the Contributors
Nicole Rendler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

For Nicole Rendler, a fourth year journalist and the co-editor-in-chief of Aquila, it is important to be organized as she aspires to be an event planner one day. Nicole hopes to one day travel to Costa Rica because she is very interested in becoming fluent in Spanish and would love to be immersed in a Latin American country. She enjoys being in the car during a rainy, cloudy day as she watches the raindrops fall. If she were a color, Nicole would be blue because it is cute and very chill, and two words she would use to describe herself are fun and reliable. Her favorite quote comes from the book “Tuck Everlasting:” “Don’t be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live.” Nicole enjoys sharing her thoughts with her dog, Kensi, since Kensi is always happy to listen and never judges her. On a special day, Nicole would like hang out with Harry Styles so they can explore a tourist city such as Amsterdam together.

Emily Hung, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Emily Hung is a senior and the current co-editor-in-chief of Aquila. This is her fourth year as a journalist, and she is planning on majoring in journalism and pursuing it as a career. Outside of the hard working person she is, Emily is just like everyone else. She really likes to eat Miso soup and adding Cilantro to a variety of foods — the stem of the herb is her favorite. Emily also likes to make smoothies in the summer; she’s created banana, apricot, orange and apple flavored ones. Her ideal vacation spot would be anywhere near the ocean or a body of water. If Emily won a thousand dollars, she would donate 20 percent of it and use the rest for a trip to Hawaii. Other than traveling to Hawaii, she would also like to live in Los Angeles someday due to the city’s large amount of entertainment and media like the Los Angeles Times, Disneyland and Buzzfeed. She would also like to own either a husky or a golden retriever since she believes they’re smart and adorable; she can’t really choose between the two. Besides dogs, Emily also loves alpacas and squids. She likes the alpaca, which she calls “the smaller llama,” since they’re adorable and really soft.