Filed under News

Official ASB Account Impersonated

The+Instagram+page+of+the+fake+ASB+account+claims+the+official+account+was+experiencing+issues.+The+account+has+been+gaining+followers+since+it+was+first+created+on+the+night+of+Nov.+11.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Official ASB Account Impersonated

The Instagram page of the fake ASB account claims the official account was experiencing issues. The account has been gaining followers since it was first created on the night of Nov. 11.

Emily Hung

Emily Hung

Emily Hung

The Associated Student Body (ASB) has been using its Instagram page, @upa.asb, this school year to inform both students and teachers about upcoming events such as dances, spirit weeks and carnivals.

On the night of Nov. 11, ASB members were notified that their Instagram account had been impersonated. For the first time, students were receiving follow requests from another account, @upa_asb, whose profile closely imitated the official account.

As of 11 a.m. on Nov. 12, the fake account has garnered over 60 followers, with that number increasing, and has been spreading misinformation about school policies.

In its most recent post, @upa_asb falsely reported that beginning second semester, the uniform policy would no longer exist.

ASB members recommend students who are currently following the impersonation account to unfollow it.

“I do not find it funny,” ASB President Krizel Tomines said. “ASB doesn’t deserve to be humiliated like this. We work very hard to plan school events.”

Although they do not know who created the account yet, they are studying clues, including the email address used to create it.

“We are investigating,” Anant Sherwal, who co-manages the official ASB account, said. “As of now, we would like to request everyone to please report the account since it is causing a lot of miscommunication. We want to inform the school of what is going to happen soon, and this person is making that very difficult for us.”

About the Contributor
Emily Hung, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Emily Hung is a senior and the current co-editor-in-chief of Aquila. This is her fourth year as a journalist, and she is planning on majoring in journalism...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Official ASB Account Impersonated”

1. LOL on November 26th, 2018 12:57 pm

This account is funny pls tell everyone to follow my real asb account why dont you want anyone to follow it made it just for fun and i decided to put my editing skills to use and one of the asb members think its funny too i just want to have fun btw thats not my real email dont do anything

2. Trolololol on November 26th, 2018 12:57 pm

3. Yapping Piggy on November 27th, 2018 9:37 am

can u guys provide a link so i can follow their account

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Official ASB Account Impersonated

Broadcast

Comedy: A New Type of Sport

• Official ASB Account Impersonated

Features

Then and Now: Sheila Billy

• Official ASB Account Impersonated

Features

Delving Into the World of Science and Anime

• Official ASB Account Impersonated

Features

From Training Dogs to Teaching Students

• Official ASB Account Impersonated

Arts & Culture

The Guide to Making Vegan Pasta Sauce and Bean Curd Appetizers

The Student News Site of University Preparatory Academy
Official ASB Account Impersonated