Another Golden Eagle Leaves Nest

Emily Calderon

Linda Luna could be found working in the Snack Shack during middle and high school lunch.

She is the reason muffins and Arizona teas were added to UPA’s Energy Bar menu this year. She is the new teacher in charge of yearbook. She attended UPA as a student, started working at UPA as a supervisor last year, and her name is Linda Luna.

Q: Why did you decide to attend UPA as a student?
A: My mom worked at the church here, so me and my sister came. I entered my eighth grade year, that was 2008, the first year of UPA. [For] my senior year, I went to Mount Pleasant.

Q: Is there a lesson you learned here at UPA and applied to real life?
A: A lot of the teachers here are strict, and… [they] taught me that there [were] no excuses with giving late work. Going into the job force, you have to learn that as well.

Q: How did your first year as a supervisor go?
A: It was tough because… I was always scared of my teachers. Now I had to learn to call Mr. Yau Andrew and Mr. Daugherty Matt.

Since her first year, the Director of Curriculum and Instruction, Matt Daugherty, has seen noticeable changes at UPA. “The snack shack has become a profit center. It’s efficient [and] organized.” In addition to her other responsibilities, Daugherty said, “She was sort of the Webmaster last year and anytime the website needed to be updated, she did that.”

Q: How did you hear about an open job opportunity at UPA?
A: I was working at… the Harker Elementary School, and I was still in contact with [Director of Student Services] Andrew Yau… I got a call and he offered me the job.

“I always try to hire students or former students that I trust or I know will do a good job.” Yau said.

Q: Do you plan on continuing working at UPA?
A: I’m actually leaving [in December] because my family is moving to Texas. But [UPA alumnus] Martin Contreras [will] be taking over for me.

Q: What advice do you have for students?
A: I know this sounds cheesy, but life might not goes as planned, [yet] you should never give up on what you love. I say that because photography was always my passion and… now I’m [teaching] yearbook and doing weddings and maternity shoots.